While architects tend to think that a perspective gives others information about a space that two dimensional drawings cannot, it is also true that it camouflages information that is irrelevant, unknown, or undesirable. We tend to show off our best design features in a perspective, while the mechanical room gets only a label on a floor plan.
Below I show two different possible constructions of the space pictured, with labels asking what this "poche" space could house.







2 comments:
I read your anaysis on the space from last week and you asked "what am I really seeing". You have succesfully shown me what you see. (Nice drawings) A gathering space defined by a dominant massing of the TV wall backdrop. I think you mention or allude to the fact that there is a level of competition for attention between the group discussion and the focus demanded by the TV wall. I think your drawings present this well.
“While architects tend to think that a perspective gives others information about a space that two dimensional drawings cannot, it is also true that it camouflages information that is irrelevant, unknown, or undesirable.”
Point well taken.
I don’t think either is better than the other, but –as you note, each afford different things. And it is the changing from medium-medium that requires one to constantly “check” their thoughts/concerns.
I like very much the annotating of “possibilities”. Strong studies. The sectional studies are perhaps the most interesting – as they raise the question of “what’s above?” If a section was cut the long direction (down the hall) you could begin to play with the depth of the room in plan – if the roof/ceiling sloped dramatically (either up or down), it could create a “forced perspective” that makes the actual distance seem either longer or shorter.
I think everyone went from perspective to plan and then to section. As we revisit this technique/approach later, it might be interesting to see what are the “variables” in section (height, slope, etc.) and see how those could be used to drive the plan development.
Post a Comment