Saturday, February 3, 2007

The Peel

Below is detailed the third floor solid railing peeling away and falling onto the creative core space at the second level. Here it becomes a place for interactive touch screen creative postings and a drama backdrop. The peeling away leaves one small open space in the railing which I detailed with glass to indicate its absence. You will notice though, that the peeled element does not resemble that from which it came. It is more organic, colorful, and creative. As designers, consumers, and apple product users, we need to pull away from where we are now and become more creative.


Below are some images of my model peel structure. I modeled it mostly to see how it would work structurally. I looked at my structure books all afternoon and decided I wouldn't figure it out unless I tried to build it. I built a wire frame similar to a truss, but that curves in two directions. Structural comments are welcome.


5 comments:

Kyle Basilius said...

hey, it was difficult...mostly because I hadn't thought of how to put it together in order to acheive what I wanted to acheive? I found a cool example by accident of something similar in which they use fly ash cement ( which is green) to form the slabs and cubes of their building...i posted it. I guess Im still toying with should it be concrete slabs and walls that create the cubes or a curtain wall system...that creates the pop outs and cubes. hmm

I like your drawings...I bet they opened up ideas of how to accomplish your centerpiece of your building...did you have a difficult time trying to fig out ways to accomplish that?

Ellie said...

Look at Kyle's post re: HdM's "Birdnest" Stadium. Some similarities exist with your apple peel - primarily the desire to create a volume with thin lines. You might want to also look at Gehry's "fish". I think it is a strong addition to the space/volume, but wonder if it should be larger, such that it is not so much an onbject, but rather a volume?

Ellie said...

The peel drapes nicely from the upper railing, but seems to fall to the ground rather abruptly/crudely.

Carli Sekella said...

Is this peeling going to happen in multiple areas? I definitely think it should, and like Chris said, be BIG so that it is a volume. Unless your idea is for it to look light and sort of fluttery, but with the space frame visible it appears it should be volumetric.

Carli Sekella said...

And, does it have to stop at the second floor? Can it fall below, to hint at the volume from the first floor?